Wednesday, February 14, 2018

A SPECIAL VALENTINE'S TREASURE



Hello everyone!


This year I have not decorated for Valentine's Day.
I have so much going on that I just couldn't seem to find any time, so our home is staying decorated with what 
I call our "everyday decor".

But I couldn't let this special day pass by without sharing a little "love". :)

I posted about this old, simple and very dated wood box a few years ago when I was starting my blog. 
Today I am reposting it for those of you that were not around back then and to send a little love your way. :)

I had this little treasure for over 30 years 
 My husband made it for me one year as a Valentine's gift.





What this box holds is very special to me and through out all the years of military moves all around the world, 
I always worried my "little treasures" would get lost.

The box was a wonderful way to ship its contents in a safer way. About 10 years later, I decided to decorate it a little with some pretty embellishments I found at Michaels.



And this is the way it has looked for many, many years now.
I know, very outdated, but it is a treasure to me.






Can you guess what is inside?

You see, before we got married, my husband, (fiance back then) joint the US Army and we spent a little over a 
year apart while he attended basic training and paramedic school.

I was in Madrid, Spain, he was here in the States and phone calls were not as easy to make 37 years ago like it is today.

 In the 80's, we didn't have computers with Skype and email or cell phones and texting, as hard as it is to believe now, none of that existed back then and overseas phone calls were only for the rich, so that left us just letters.

Yes, in this box I keep each and everyone of the letters we 
wrote to each other during that year.

I kept all the letters he wrote to me while he was away, but I never told him I was doing that and the funny thing is that when he finally came home on leave to marry me, he brought with him all the letters I had written to him during all those months. It was sure meant to be.





Some people will think it is silly, but I hope, may be one day when we are gone, our children and grandchildren will be able to read them and learn what our life was like for us back then and how much we had to go through to be able to start our life together.






For me, is the little things like this that really count.
Yes, I have always been very sentimental. :)

I hope you all have a super wonderful day with your loved one!









5 comments:

  1. Oh, Maria Elena, this isn't silly at all....this is truly precious. I think the sweet box and its contents are something your children will absolutely cherish one day. Happy Valentine's Day, my friend.

    Warm hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like a love letter...I think it's a lost art and you have so many to treasure. Lucky, lucky girl. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's outdated at all! It's beautiful! Love that you kept those letters all this time and yes, your children and grandchildren will definitely enjoy having this keepsake to read through some day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special treasure those letters are and such a precious place to store them! Happy Valentine’s Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!!
    I hope your Valentine is as special to you as you are to me!
    Ryoma.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...